My Favorite Recipes

This is a collection of some of my favorite recipes. Not necessarily elaborate and intended to host different ideas, creations, or adaptations of foods in one place so I can plan my menus by looking in one place.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Dinner

1) Tofu Steak with Bonito Flakes: One of my favorites, this is my adaptation of a restaurant dish served in Santa Monica that my husband and I enjoy. I use a cut up package of firm or extra-firm lite tofu that has been drained well, 1 green onion (white part and green tops), 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce, 1/2 cup eggbeaters, 3/4 cup bonito fish flakes, salt, pepper, and 1 tsp sesame oil (optional). Heat up a skillet, once hot spray with cooking spray then place the cut tofu to brown, flipping once. Preheat broiler. Top browned tofu with soy sauce and green onions. Mix seasonings (not the fish flakes) into egg substitute and pour over tofu. Cook for a minute distributing egg evenly then place into broiler to cook the top. Once egg is cooked (about 3-5 minutes) take out and top with bonito flakes and serve. Don't forget to add your veggies and whole grain carbs! Serves 2. Each serving has 155 calories, 3.8g fat, 27.4g protein, 5g carbs, and 750mg sodium.

2) Tofu Steak: Simple version here. This is extremely quick and really has great stats when you use the low-fat firm tofu. I just drain the package and get as much water out as possible from the tofu then split in half length-wise into a "steak". I heat a skillet and add cooking spray once it's very hot then place the tofu steak so it browns nicely. While browning on one side I add soy sauce, salt, pepper and garlic powder it and then flip. Allow to brown on the other side and it's done. I like adding lemon to mine.

3) Couscous: I make couscous many different ways. Essentially I think it's great for salads and meal sides, etc. The only thing that changes in how I make it is the add-ins.

  • If I'm in the mood for lemon, I'll add the juice of 1/2 a lemon, 1 cup of fat-free, low sodium chicken or vegetable broth, a can of green beans with the liquid, and 1/4-1/2 cup chopped onions along with pepper, garlic powder, salt, etc. I boil the onions in the broth a bit to soften them then add everything else and once everything is boiling I turn off the heat and add 1 cup of whole grain couscous, cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Then fluff with a fork and enjoy!
  • Another variation is 1 cup broth (or 1/2 and 1/2 water), undrained diced tomatoes (seasoned or not), 1/2 to 1 can of peas (drained), and seasonings.
  • An idea from Ashley is 1 cup of water, 1/2 to 1 tsp of saffron (preferably threads) and raisins. I would also add carrots to this combination.
  • For 2 servings: 1/4 onion, 1 can green beans (use 3/4 cup of the liquid and rinse beans), 3/4 cup bean liquid, 1/3 cup couscous (I like whole wheat) pepper and garlic powder. Bring liquid and onion to a boil allowing onion to soften, add green beans and let them heat up. Then add couscous and cover 5 minutes, fluff and serve.
  • There are so many combinations that I'll post them as I think of them.

4) Fettuccini Alfedo with Shrimp: I tend to miss cream sauces dearly, this recipe is an adaptation of one from Cooking Light Magazine. I sautee some shrimp and other seafood on the skillet with some onions and garlic, season them and set aside. The sauce I make as instructed in the link here (using light margarine in place of butter) and add the seafood mixture with the sauce to use a topping over whatever pasta I'm in the mood for.

5) Ground Beef Revuelto: Popular dish in my house and so quick it's great. I brown 1 lb of 96/4 lean ground beef with 1 clove of finely chopped garlic, 1/2 a small chopped onion, 1 tsp dried oregano and basil. Once browned and the onions are soft, I add in 1-15oz can of diced tomatoes, 1 cup of corn, 1 can of carrots or another vegetable, and 1 cup fresh mushrooms. I stir it all in and allow all the vegetables to simmer over medium heat and cook completely. Lastly, I pour 1 cup of egg substitute evenly over the complete meal, lower the heat and cover so the egg cooks (you can also pop it in the broiler to cook the top). This makes 4 large servings. **note: instead of corn, a good carb addition is 1 to 2 cups of cooked rice and add it in after the vegetables cook but before the eggs.

6) Grilled Chicken and Veggies: To me, nothing beats grilled veggies and chicken (or fish). I like to grill up all kinds of baby vegetables, asparagus, zucchini, etc and even fruits like pears along with skinless chicken breasts brushed with a little olive oil, salt, and lemon pepper. I pair it up with rice, couscous or grilled corn to round out the meal.

7) Lentil Soup with Bacon: Cook 1/2 a package of dried lentils according to instructions but adding in seasonings, a couple of bay leafs, and 1 package of reduced-fat sliced bacon cut into small pieces. Serve with sliced french bread (or whole grain) that has been topped with a very small amount of brie cheese, some garlic powder and butter flavor cooking spray and broiled for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted and bread is crunchy.

8) Panko Chicken (or Pork) with Poppyseed Noodles:

  • For 1 lb of chicken use 1/2 cup panko (or other breadcrumbs if you prefer), 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp pepper and the chicken cut in 1" pieces. Mix all together, coating well and cook in the oven at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes, stirring once.
  • For the noodles use wide egg noodles ( I like wheat ones) and boil in water with salt, drain and toss with 1 tsp of poppyseeds, 1 1/2 tbsp of fat-free or light margarine and some pepper.
  • Serve together and add a little shredded parmesan to serve.

9) Stuffed Rolled Chicken Breast: This is a great recipe to use for dinner and make leftovers for lunch. Get a boneless, skinless chicken breast and flatten it on a big piece of saran wrap. Put your choice of veggies and/or cheese in the center and roll it tight in the saran wrap and twist the ends. Re-wrap it in another piece of saran wrap and tie the ends together (the idea is that no water get in when boiling). Drop chicken in pan with boiling water and allow to cook for about 5 to 10 minutes until no longer pink. Unwrap and voila!

10) Polenta Casserole: Prepare polenta as instructed on the package with no oil added. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a glass baking dish with cooking spray. Add about a 1" layer of polenta to the pan, top with shredded cheese of choice and ricotta if desired, then top with remaining polenta. Cook in oven about 20 to 30 minutes then add a little more shredded cheese on top and return to oven for about 10 minutes until cheese is bubbly. Top with marinara sauce or make your own sauce.

  • My tomato sauce usually consists of diced tomatoes (canned and fresh), mushrooms, salt, pepper, oregano, a dash of sweetner, and basil. I just cook this in a skillet until ready. This is just a basic "i'm feeling lazy" type of sauce ;).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home